Follow up to Loughborough Junction consultation meeting at Longfield Hall

• 18 Oct 2014 9:33 PM
    Message # 3126793
    Chair (Administrator)
    At the meeting about the proposed plans for Loughborough Junction in Longfield Hall on Wednesday 15 October, local residents raised a number of concerns about the impact on the MCA area, particularly in light of the proposal to close Calais Street. I have asked the Council for a copy of their notes of the points raised as well as any actions arising, which I hope to be able to circulate in due course. However, as I cannot be certain that I will receive anything before the closing date (Wednesday 22 October), I’ve set out a few of the points I noted here:
    • There is a lack of clarity about the issue the proposals are seeking to address
    • No data has been provided as a baseline against which the results of the proposed trial can be evaluated.
    • The traffic issues at Loughborough Junction are significantly different from those around the MCA area. At Loughborough Junction, they hope the plans will reduce through traffic, whereas commuter and destination parking is of far more concern to local residents here.
    • Safety and concerns about crime levels resulting from the creation of cul-de-sacs
    • Increased traffic on roads not designed to carry the volume of traffic that will arise from road closures, including Flodden, Denmark, and Knatchbull roads.
    • Increased journey times for local residents needing to leave the area, going both north and south.
    • Concern about the ability of traffic to exit smoothly onto Coldharbour Lane, given the inevitable increase in traffic particularly on Denmark and Lilford Roads.
    • The lack of joined up planning in the MCA area regarding traffic and road management e.g. redevelopment of Myatt’s Fields North estate/Oval quarter, Akerman Road Health Centre, police representatives etc.
    • Increased traffic on Knatchbull road resulting in more and more “confrontations” between vehicle users, especially as the P5 and emergency services use this road.
    • Concern from Southwark residents that there has been insufficient consideration given to the knock on effect on streets in their borough too.
    • The consultation with local residents has not been well handled, with very few streets in the MCA area having received any information about the Loughborough Junction proposals at all.
    The consultation closing date is Wednesday, 22 October. I urge all MCA members and local residents to review the plans and send in comments. All responses to the consultation are vital to ensure we get better recognition of the issues around parking and traffic in the MCA area. So, if you have not already done so, please do send in your comments. You can access the plans and complete the questionnaire here.

A petition regarding the closure of Calais Street has been set up. You can read more about it and sign the petition here.

© Copyright

Minet Hub 
hub@minet.org.uk 
|
|
Minet Conservation Association
conservation@minet.org.uk