• Home
  • Forums
  • Planning
  • October 2009 :'Submarine' power plant housing in Akerman Road (Chimney extnsions to 4metres) Lambeth 09/03229/RG3

October 2009 :'Submarine' power plant housing in Akerman Road (Chimney extnsions to 4metres) Lambeth 09/03229/RG3

• 09 Oct 2009 7:50 PM
    Message # 228614
    Deleted user
    The application has appeared on the Lambeth website for an extension of 4m to the chimneys. This is technically on the border of the MCA area, and whilst I am uncomfortable commenting on behalf of the MCA therefore, I have objected, as a local resident, given that it contravenes the information given at the Patmos Road Medical Centre consultations. There I was told the road would be narrowed, the submarine removed, the plant and equipment relocated and the additional space given over to the small park adjacent.

You can comment, object, support the application at http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/publicaccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_comments_entryform.aspx?caseno=KQJ65WBO0GL00.

Alternatively send email to councillors stating your point of view and/or contact Jacqui Henry at the PFI Team on 020 7926 8315 or by email to jhenry4@lambeth.gov.uk
    Last modified: 09 Oct 2009 7:50 PM | Deleted user
  • 09 Oct 2009 8:08 PM
    Reply # 228644 on 228614
    Deleted user
    Jonathan Moore wrote: The application has appeared on the Lambeth website for an extension of 4m to the chimneys. This is technically on the border of the MCA area, and whilst I am uncomfortable commenting on behalf of the MCA therefore, I have objected, as a local resident, given that it contravenes the information given at the Patmos Road Medical Centre consultations. There I was told the road would be narrowed, the submarine removed, the plant and equipment relocated and the additional space given over to the small park adjacent.

You can comment, object, support the application at http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/publicaccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_comments_entryform.aspx?caseno=KQJ65WBO0GL00.

Alternatively send email to councillors stating your point of view and/or contact Jacqui Henry at the PFI Team on 020 7926 8315 or by email to jhenry4@lambeth.gov.uk

Councillor Kingsley Abrams investigated further in response to an MCA member query and was informed by Lesley Johnson, the Myatts Field North PFI Project Manager that:

1. The 'submarine' on Akerman Road currently houses the heating and hot water plant which serves the Myatts Field South estate. While the Myatts Field North PFI does propose narrowing Akerman Road, it does not propose the demolition of the submarine.

2. The planning application the Council has recently made is to allow either for the submarine to be the location of a Combined Heat and Power plant (CHP) to serve both Myatts Field North and South, or for the existing plant to be replaced as it is at the end of its useful life. The extension of the flues is to enable the structure to meet modern regulations and standards, even if the upgraded plant continues to serve just Myatts Field South.

3.To date, the masterplan has shown the CHP as part of the new community centre to be built in Mostyn Gardens. However, if permission is granted to extend the flues, the submarine offers a more economic and efficient option for the provision of services to both estates.

4. Lesley has confirmed that the outline planning application, which was approved in 2007, shows the submarine remaining in use in its current location. She is not aware of any commitment to its demolition, particularly as it is the location of a functioning boiler room.

5. The PFI project is indeed intended to transform the Myatts Field North estate, linking it back to its neighbourhood, providing new and refurbished homes with a range of tenures as well as purpose built community facilities with secure revenue funding, private and public amenity space and training and employment opportunities. As soon as government approval is given to the proposed Preferred Bidder, the PFI team and the Preferred Bidder will present the detailed proposals to local people and stakeholders. In the meantime, I am happy to arrange for you to meet with Lesley Johnson and discuss the plans if that would be useful.

The planners will shortly be advising local people about the application to extend the flues. If you would like to raise your concerns with them, please contact Development Control at Phoenix House, 10 Wandsworth Road, SW8 2LL, 020 7926 1180.

• 19 Nov 2009 8:09 PM
    Reply # 247031 on 228614
    Deleted user
    This application will be considered at the Lambeth planning meeting on Wednesday 25th November 2009.

Planning officers have recommended that the application be approved.

Any residents who wish to do so are also entitled to attend and speak if they request in advance to do so to : aduhaney@lambeth.gov.uk . 

You can access the documents relating to the meeting at http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/moderngov/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=6875&x=1

• 03 Jan 2010 7:37 PM
    Reply # 263110 on 228614
    Deleted user
    This application was approved an 2nd December 2009.
  • 31 Mar 2010 11:06 PM
    Reply # 318558 on 228614
    Burton Gardener
    wow, 4 meter extensions to the submarine chimneys, i wonder what that's gonna look like? !!
  • 02 Apr 2010 5:08 PM
    Reply # 319415 on 318558
    Deleted user
    Burton Gardener wrote:wow, 4 meter extensions to the submarine chimneys, i wonder what that's gonna look like? !!

Very tall unfortunately. You can see drawings of the elevations at:

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/publicaccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?caseno=KQJ65WBO0GL00

just click on ASSOCIATED DOCUMENTS and then VIEW ASSOCIATED DOCUMENTS to see a list of drawings you can open online. They are shown with the trees behind them slightly higher than the towers themselves, which I don't think will be the case in reality.
  • 06 Apr 2010 2:58 PM
    Reply # 321003 on 228614
    Burton Gardener
    Thanks Jonathan, I wish I'd seen this earlier. It's going to be quite a change to the streetscape.

Great site, keep up the good work - I'll be a regular visitor now!
  • 15 Apr 2010 8:05 PM
    Reply # 326032 on 228614
    Deleted user
    You're very welcome, and I'm delighted to have your comments and input to planning issues. Thanks, Jonathan

© Copyright

Minet Hub 
hub@minet.org.uk 
|
|
Minet Conservation Association
conservation@minet.org.uk